By: Shianna Pennington
Are you Trying to figure out what to do for Christmas gifts this year? Are funds low, so you need to keep things cheap, or do you just think homemade gifts mean more than store bought? Here are a couple DIY gifts that could be options for you this gift giving season!
- Ceramic Tile Coasters are a cute, sentimental gift to a close friend, significant other, or family member. It is also a perk if you’re low in the funding department, because it’s cheap!
Things You’ll Need
- Color photographs, any amount you choose, printed on photo paper, and scissors, which are things you typically already have at home.
- A 2 inch foam brush, which is $1.31 at Walmart
- 8 ounces of Mod Podge, $4.49, also at Walmart
- 4-inch square ceramic tiles, amount varies on how many coasters you wish to make, but these are $0.15 each at Lowes
- Krylon Crystal Clear Spray, 6 ounces for $5.81 at Walmart
- Waxman ⅜ inches adhesive felt pads, $2.64 at Walmart
- First trim your photos to 3 ¾” in width by 3 1/4“ tall.
- Using your foam brush, spread Mod Podge on the back of the images and position it on the tile, leaving a ¼ inch border at the top and sides, and a ¾ inch border along the bottom. Then let it dry for 30 minutes.
- Now spread Mod Podge on the front of the images and the exposed tile borders and let dry for one hour, repeat this process two to three times.
- Spray with sealant and let dry for 24 hours. Add adhesive pads to the underside and voila, picture perfect coasters, and a picture perfect gift!
2. Reindeer Hot Cocoa Cones are affordable and adorable! Who doesn’t love a good cup of hot chocolate? This gift is perfect for teachers, friends, neighbors, or anybody!
Things You’ll Need
- 18 packages of instant hot cocoa mix
- 1- 10 oz package of mini marshmallows
- Bag of either Andes Peppermint crunch baking chips or milk chocolate chips, whichever you prefer
- 12 disposable cake decorating bags and holiday red ribbon
- 6 pipe cleaners or fuzzy sticks
- 6 brown or red craft pom poms
- 12 wiggly eyes
- Glue (Elmer's Glue is a good choice)
- 6 printable decorative tags
- Christmas coffee mug, optional
- Begin with one decorating bag and add 3 packets of hot cocoa mix per cone. Make sure the mix fits nicely and all the way to the tip of the bag. Trim about an inch off the top of the bag and twist, securing the bag with either tape or a clear rubber band.
- Slide the cocoa filled cone inside a second decorating bag; you double the bags so that the mix avoids touching the toppings. Push down the sealed cocoa bag in the middle to make an indention; this is where the candy and marshmallows will sit.
- Add ¼ cup of peppermint crunch baking chips or chocolate chips followed by ½ cup of mini marshmallows. Twist the bag tight and tie closed using the red ribbon. Print off the decorative labels, hole punch a single hole, and attach through the ribbon. You could also make your own labels.
- Glue on two wiggly eyes and one red or brown pom pom for the Reindeer’s nose and eyes. Add one brown pipe cleaner or fuzzy stick, twisting and shaping them into antlers.
- You could then place them into Christmas coffee mugs and hand out to your friends and family for the perfect gift!